It’s that time of year again! Fall is the perfect time to do your annual home maintenance. The following list will help you protect what is probably your most valuable investment from the damaging effects of weather, wear and tear, and general mishaps.
– Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
– Replace batteries a minimum of twice a year.
– Check and/or replace fire extinguishers.
– Clear lint traps, hood vents and fans.
– Clean and inspect chimney.
– Check for leaks around windows and doors.
– Fill any cracks or gaps.
– Upgrade insulation to improve heating and cooling efficiency.
– Add or replace weatherstripping.
Inspect Building Exterior:
– Check roof for leaks, especially around vents, skylights and chimneys.
– Power-wash exterior, noting the condition of siding.
– Inspect landscaping, paying attention to low spots or signs of pooling water.
– Clean gutters and downspouts.
Check for Damage:
– Deal with any pests in basements and attics.
– Inspect foundation and fill any cracks with epoxy.
– Check for dampness and for signs of mold and mildew.
– Assess and/or remove any dead or severely damaged trees.
– Inspect and service hot water tank.
– Test faucets, and change washers and screens.
– Clean and replace HVAC system filters.
– Service HVAC system.
– Check outlets and replace light bulbs.