Whether entertaining friends and family or unwinding after a long day, the ultimate backyard retreat should be an extension of your home. Whatever your lifestyle, here are a few ideas for building the ultimate backyard retreat.
For Entertaining — Design a flexible space to accommodate a range of gatherings with:
· Different spaces for dining, relaxing, visiting and cooking.
· Shelter from the elements with an arbor, retractable awning or patio umbrellas.
· Don’t forget about outdoor storage!
For Relaxing — Create an outdoor oasis that you love spending time in with:
· A water feature as the center of your Zen garden.
· Benches and walking paths that draw you into the space.
· Flowers and foliage that attract birds and butterflies.
For Playing — Build a space that is fun for the whole family that includes:
· Outdoor recreation such as a swimming pool, sports area or zip line.
· A kids-only area with a tree house or a backyard clubhouse.
· A backyard spa featuring a hot tub or outdoor sauna.
For Cooking — Treat your backyard as an extension of the kitchen by adding:
· A food prep area, closed storage, grill with side burner, refrigerator and sink.
· Outdoor wood-burning oven and/or smoker.
· A kitchen garden to grow all your favorite herbs within easy reach.
For Nighttime — Make your backyard oasis comfortable after dark by including:
· Outdoor lighting for the conversation and task areas and landscape lights along pathways.
· Patio heater or fireplace to extend the outdoor season.
· Fire pit for a gathering place for marshmallow roasts and ghost stories.